I am honored to lead the Resources Division at LifeWay and serve with a team of leaders who are passionate to serve the Church in her mission of making disciples. Each Wednesday, I share the heart behind one of the resources our team has developed and give an opportunity for you to register to win a free copy of the resource. This week’s resource is Foundations: A 260-Day Bible Reading Plan for Busy Teens by Robby Gallaty. Our Student ministry team helped write this post.
One of the foundational elements for growing as a disciple is saturating our hearts and minds with the Word of God, and as ministry leaders, we are called to equip our people to this end. The Bible feels comfortable in the hands of a growing disciple. Ministry leaders must long for this for the students in our churches too.
Using the HEAR journaling method, my friend Robby Gallaty lays out 4 simple steps to help any student of the Scriptures read, understand, and apply the Word of God to their own life. The steps are simple and easy to remember:
H – Highlight
- Write out the name of the book.
- Which chapter and verse numbers stand out to you?
E – Explain
- To whom was it originally written? Why?
- How does it fit with the verses before and after it?
- What is the Holy Spirit intending to communicate through this text?
A – Apply
- What does this mean today?
- What is God saying to you personally?
- How can you apply this message to your life?
R – Respond
- In what ways does this passage call you to action?
- How will you be different because of what you’ve learned?
- Write out a prayer to God in response to what you read today.
Robby unpacks this approach and helps students encounter the Word themselves in the excellent resource Foundations: A 260-Day Bible Reading Plan for Busy Teens.
Today on the blog we’ll be giving away 5 copies of this devotional. Enter here or in the form below before 11:59pm CT tonight, November 30, 2016. We will notify winners within a week via email.