I am honored to lead the Resources Division at LifeWay and serve with a team of leaders who are passionate to serve the Church in Her mission of making disciples. Each Wednesday, I share the heart behind one of the resources our team has developed and give an opportunity for you to register to win a free resource. This week’s resource is God the Creator: A Gospel-Centered Exploration in Genesis by Matt Carter and Halim Suh, the first study (for adults) in The Gospel Project Chronological.
The Gospel Project is a gospel-centered Bible study for small groups. The Gospel Project dives deep into the things of God, lifts up Jesus, focuses on the grand story of Scripture, and drives participants to be on mission. Today, I want you to hear from our team about this latest study, which provides opportunities to encounter the living Christ in the first book of the Bible.
Some people see the Bible as a collection of stories with morals for life application. But it’s so much more. Sure, the Bible has some stories in it, but it’s also full of poetry, history, codes of law and civilization, songs, prophecy, letters—even a love letter. When you tie it all together, something remarkable happens. A story is revealed. One story. The story of redemption through Jesus.
That story begins in Genesis. For thousands of years, countless men and women have been amazed by the opening words of this great book, and everything that comes after:
- The awe-inspiring simplicity of the Bible’s first words, “In the beginning, God…”
- The picture of perfection found in the garden of Eden.
- The end of humanity’s harmonious relationship with God and creation in the fall.
- The fearsome power of God displayed in the flood.
- The righteous judgment of God at the tower of Babel.
These aren’t merely stories to be enjoyed or to inspire us. The stories in Genesis are the foundation upon which the entire story of redemption is built, and we need to study them with the gospel in mind. That’s what God the Creator has to offer. In Genesis, we discover how the gospel is at work from the earliest moments of human history:
- We meet God, the Maker of the heavens and the earth, who is before all things.
- We learn of the creation of our first parents and the glorious purpose God gave them by creating them in His image.
- We see our first parents’ tragic fall into sin, and their children’s continued descent into the madness of sin.
Even in the midst of the madness of the fall, Genesis reveals the extraordinary mercy of God:
- We discover that despite our rebellion and idolatry, God is at work mercifully restraining humanity’s evil deeds.
- We learn how He responds to the rebelliousness of humanity and judges their evil works.
- And we see that God shows favor to the undeserving by redeeming fallen men and women so that His plan to redeem and restore the world will be fulfilled.
By studying the beginning of the story, Christians will be better equipped to understand all of Scripture. They’ll be moved to worship as they see how every moment recorded is connected to the coming of the Lord Jesus. And they’ll be compelled to join in the mission of making disciples, sharing the life-changing news of Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection with all who will hear.
Register to win one of three group starter packs here or in the form below before 12:01 AM Thursday, September 3rd. Each pack includes 10 copies of God the Creator, enough for one group leader and nine members of the group.
You can also purchase the study at LifeWay.com.