I am honored to lead the Resources Division at LifeWay and serve with a team of leaders who are passionate to serve the Church in Her mission of making disciples. Each Wednesday, I share the heart behind one of the resources our team has developed and give an opportunity for you to register to win a free copy of the resource. This week’s giveaway includes three items to get you started on this summer’s VBS: Jump Start Kit, Preschool Starter Kit, and Kids Starter Kit.
For many ministries, VBS or Backyard Kid’s Club is one of the biggest opportunities of the year to serve the community. It’s a time to reach kids and families with the saving love of Christ. Kaye and I have hosted the last two summers, and it has been a blessing to see friends and neighbors gather together.
Many pastors identify with the mission of VBS but struggle to find their place to serve. This may result in pastors and leadership teams wandering without purpose throughout the church, hiding away in their offices, or feeling as though they aren’t needed.
Most VBS directors (the point person at your church) desire staff involvement throughout the week at VBS, but they may feel hesitant to ask for help from the core staff. So how can pastors/church staff help at VBS?
I asked my friend Jerry Wooley, resident “VBS Guy” for LifeWay. He suggests six ways church staff and pastors can serve at VBS this summer:
1. Offer to present the daily Bible story during Worship Rally.
2. Join the Greeting Team. This allows you to welcome church members and connect with families during registration, arrival, and dismissal.
3. Volunteer to serve in areas where kids wouldn’t typically connect with their pastor—Recreation and Crafts, for example.
4. Consider leading a Q&A session with older VBS attendees. Invite preteens, students, and adults to ask questions about the weekly Bible content, or allow questions of any kind.
5. Ask the VBS director if you can stop by individual classrooms to present the gospel during Bible study. For this option, you may also want to communicate with teachers beforehand.
6. Volunteer yourself to do something silly and unexpected. This could involve dressing in theme with your particular VBS or participating in a skit where you get pied in the face. Anything is possible at VBS. By agreeing to do something surprising, kids and families will find you more approachable.
If your church is using LifeWay’s VBS 2016, Submerged™—Finding Truth Below the Surface, you will help convey the message that Jesus sees, Jesus knows, and Jesus saves. We are praying for you as you reach kids with this transformational truth.
Register here or in the form below by the end of the day (Wednesday, March 30, 2016) to win a Submerged Jump Start Kit, Preschool Starter Kit, and Kids Starter Kit.
You can also purchase kits at lifeway.com/vbs, 800.458.2772, or LifeWay Christian Stores.