I am honored to lead the Resources Division at LifeWay and serve with a team of leaders who are passionate to serve the Church in her mission of making disciples. Each Wednesday, I share the heart behind one of the resources our team has developed and give an opportunity for you to register to win a free copy of the resource. This week’s resource is the Bible Studies for Life Curriculum Sampler (our BSFL team helped with this post). This box includes three months of actual Bible studies you can use for adults, students, kids, and preschoolers.
Effective group leaders sense responsibility for more than guiding a discussion; they want to guide people to grow in Christlikeness. But what does maturity in Christ look like?
Through a wide-scale study on discipleship, on how people grow, our research team at LifeWay discovered that believers who are growing as disciples are maturing in eight different areas of life. These attributes of growing disciples are the kinds of qualities that every group leader wants to instill in the group he or she is shepherding. Here are the eight attributes:
1. Bible Engagement—Transformation occurs as Scripture sharpens the mind, shapes perspective, and directs actions.
2. Obeying God and Denying Self—Transformation is taking place as people view earthly treasures as nothing compared to the greater treasure of Christ.
3. Serving God and Others—Transformation is evident when personal needs are set aside for meeting the needs we see in others.
4. Sharing Christ—Transformation is evident in believers as they verbalize their faith and talk with others about the source of it.
5. Exercising Faith—Those who are maturing live in a posture of trust and faith.
6. Seeking God—Transformation takes place as people intentionally follow God, desiring to know Him more deeply and experience His work more fully.
7. Building Relationships—As our relationship with God grows, so does our relationship with others.
8. Unashamed—People following Christ are willing to be public about their faith.
Is it possible for a group leader to guide his or her group through study after study and simultaneously help them grow in these eight attributes? Yes it is. As leaders intentionally shepherd their people toward Christlikeness, maturity in these spheres of life will be the result.
Bible Studies for Life is built on these eight attributes of discipleship. Not only do the studies connect to real life, they are intentionally formed to move people through these attributes in a systematic fashion. Register here or in the form below by the end of today, July 6, 2016 for your chance to win 1 of 4 Bible Studies for Life Samplers. To check out Bible Studies for Life and to get free samples of lessons, go to www.biblestudiesforlife.com.